Vermont Academy provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Vermont Academy expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Director of Communications & Marketing
Vermont Academy seeks a dynamic, experienced, creative, and organized individual to serve as the Director of Communications & Marketing. The Director of Communications & Marketing will work primarily with the Head of School, the Assistant Head of School & Director of External Affairs, and the Director of Admissions to develop and implement a comprehensive and strategic communications and marketing program designed to promote VA’s brand, its enrollment, and its fundraising and engagement efforts. The Director of Communications & Marketing will act as the point of contact for all media inquiries. This is a full-time, twelve month position, available on January 1, 2019.Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure consistent Vermont Academy messaging and branding across all channels.
- Create and direct a comprehensive publications plan (concept, design, content, editorial, and production for paper, electronic, and multimedia communications) that reaches and influences the school’s target audiences.
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office and the Advancement Office to develop data-driven strategies to recruit prospective students and engage alumni and families.
- Investigate emerging market opportunities and recommend and implement effective marketing strategies.
- Work across all departments, including Athletics and the Arts, to highlight student activities and successes, including the promulgation of press releases to hometown media.
- Act as Editor-in-Chief of Vermont Academy Life magazine
- Provide creative direction and strategic leadership for the school's website that includes regular analysis of site traffic and content for continuous improvement and accuracy.
- Create, direct, and execute a dynamic, data-driven social media and digital marketing strategy aimed at building awareness of the Vermont Academy brand, increasing engagement across all constituencies, and recruiting prospective students.
- Cultivate and maintain working relationships between the school and the media as well as other key community organizations.
- Act as the Academy’s official point of contact for public information.
- Serve as primary photographer for VA events and for social media purposes.
- In collaboration with the Director of Alumni Relations, the Advancement Office, and the Student Life Office, cultivate student, parent, and alumni ambassadors who can support Vermont Academy's communications goals.
- Supervise professional consultants contracted to address communication and marketing goals.
- Work with Summer and Global Programs to market their programs to internal and external audiences to increase enrollment.
- Develop and implement a crisis management communications plan.
- Manage Communications budget and closely monitor Admissions budget for marketing and PR efforts.
- Supervise 1-2 part-time members of the Communications team.
- Perform other duties as assigned by and in support of the Assistant Head of School & Director of External Affairs.
- Support residential life by performing evening and weekend duties in rotation.
- Actively participate in the life of the Academy by being a visible presence at meals, meetings, events, productions, and games.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or marketing required; advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in communications and marketing, preferably with independent schools or nonprofit organizations
- Personnel management experience required
- Mastery of desktop publishing and management of design production, including demonstrated proficiency with programs such as Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- Demonstrable expertise in photography, videography, website content management and design, and social media marketing
- Outstanding organizational and presentation skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively lead, manage, and inspire a collaborative process in a fast-paced environment with multiple creative projects
- Creative and artistic vision and direction
- Demonstrated success as a confident problem solver
- Proven track record as an independent and goal-oriented manager with a dedication to meeting deadlines
Member of Administration Team and Crisis Management Team
Please mail or email letter of interest and resume to:
Melanie Hoffmann, Assistant Head of School & Director of External Affairs
PO Box 500
Saxtons River, VT 05154
No phone calls please.