Vermont Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made at Vermont Academy without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.Chief Financial Officer
Vermont Academy, located in Saxtons River, Vermont (25 miles north of Brattleboro),seeks a strategically oriented and experienced financial and business leader with superb financial, strategic and operating skills to fill the key position of Chief Financial Officer. The CFO will work in tandem and on a highly collaborative and supportive basis with the Head of School in helping the school achieve its mission. The CFO is responsible for setting the strategic direction, organization, management and implementation of a comprehensive business, finance, and investment function for the school. The new CFO will be a key member of the senior team that will shape the future course of the school.
Responsibilities include management and strategic leadership of the central business office to ensure that appropriate financial controls are effectively utilized. The position encompasses staff areas of responsibility including the Business Office, Health Services, Information Technology, Bookstore, Facilities, and Food Services departments as well as the Summer Program and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Responsibilities also involve Human Resources including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Reporting directly to the Head of School, the Chief Financial Officer oversees business operations for the Academy. The CFO develops and maintains a sustainable financial model that balances revenues, expenses, and investment priorities with the strategic plan; oversees the school budgeting systems to allocate appropriate financial support for Vermont Academy’s various programs; works directly with the Treasurer of the Board of Trustees and serves as primary staff for the chairs of the Internal Resources, Capital Construction, and Investment Committees; works with the Director of Admissions to establish enrollment goals, tuition adjustments, and financial aid modeling; works with the Director of Advancement to establish annual fundraising goals and identify and prioritize capital fundraising needs; works with the Academic Dean and Athletic Director to provide guidance and assistance in the hiring of faculty and staff; serves in rotation as one of the Administrators-on- Duty; and assumes leadership responsibilities for the Academy when the Head of School is off-campus.
Target hire date will take place upon the completion of a comprehensive national search. Excellent benefits package including campus housing and a competitive salary. EOE. For a full search description including the academic credentials, work experience and skill sets required please visit CURRENT SEARCHES at www.deerfieldassociates.com
To explore please send letter of interest and resume (both as WORD documents) to:
Doug Cooney, Executive Search Consultant, DEERFIELD ASSOCIATES Executive Search, Inc.
572 Washington Street, Suite 15, Wellesley, MA 02482 Telephone: 781-237- 2800.
Director of Advancement
Reports to: Head of School
Supervises: Director of Alumni Engagement, Director of Parent Engagement, Director of Communications, Advancement Coordinator
Summary: Vermont Academy seeks a Director of Advancement who has had success in raising annual and capital gifts, constituency relations, and leading an office of dedicated professionals. The Director of Advancement will devise and manage a program designed to attract maximum gift support for the institution including the planning and execution of a capital campaign. At the core of this effort is the task of revitalizing our support base, which includes alumni as well as past and current parents. The Director of Advancement is part of the senior leadership team at Vermont Academy.
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
• Successful track record in major gift fund raising;
• Experience managing an Advancement Office and/or a team of solicitors;
• Team player, high energy, persuasive, and sense of humor;
• Compellingly articulate in written and verbal communications.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Meet or exceed Annual Fund and Capital Campaign goals approved by Head of School;
• Cultivate, solicit, and steward potential leadership donors of capital, planned, and annual gifts;
• Maintain personal prospect pool and secure annual, capital, planned, and foundation gifts through face-to-face solicitations;
• Manage program of research and “moves” to maximize support from Vermont Academy’s key prospects;
• Inform Head of School and Development Committee on regular basis of fund raising activities and outcomes of office;
• Develop new fundraising strategies in response to evolving priorities;
• Manage Campaign Steering Committee of Trustees and volunteers.
• Oversee management of alumni/parent engagement and Vermont Academy Fund programs. Create and manage programs for capital and planned gifts, donor relations, foundation grant proposals, and prospect research;
• Increase alumni and parent engagement with and support of institution;
• Manage coordinated communications program, including Vermont Academy Life, that most effectively engages various constituencies of institution;
• Coordinate monthly travel schedules of self and others, in concert with fund raising needs, including travel with or without Head of School;
• Provide staff support for Head of School, Trustees, and other key volunteers to facilitate appropriate and timely solicitation of all prospects and to achieve strategic objectives;
• Optimize departmental expenses within budgetary guidelines.
• Promote strategic institutional priorities on an annual and long-term basis;
• Cultivate potential new Trustees for board consideration;
• Together with colleagues, identify, recruit, train, and motivate alumni and parentvolunteers.
The successful candidate will embrace all aspects of boarding school life including attending meals and performing weekend duties.
By email, send a letter of interest, resume/CV and writing sample to Kim Watson, Assistant to the Interim Head of School, email@example.com.