Vermont Academy students will have the opportunity to explore the incredible natural and cultural history of this Caribbean gem during a two month trimester program that will focus on tropical biodiversity, Mayan archeology, sustainability and service learning.
Belize is home to an incredible diversity of tropical ecosystems from rainforests to pine savannas, to mangrove swamps, to coral reef ecosystems. A tiny country tucked between Mexico to the north, Guatemala to the west and to the east, the warm waters of the Caribbean. Little bigger than the state of Massachusetts, Belize is home to a wealth of biodiversity and roughly a quarter of the area within its borders is under some kind of environmental protection.
What is the Belize Trimester all about?
- Experience a diversity of Tropical Ecosystems
- Explore ancient Mayan Ruins
- Participate in Service Learning with traditional subsistence farmers in the Maya Mountains of Belize, Central America.
- Live with a traditional homestay
- Work and live with mindfulness and compassion in a new culture
- Continue with VA curriculum with tutors and VA faculty.